DOG BITE ACCIDENTS
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs every year.
Dog Bites account for hundreds and thousands of injuries annually. Children are amongst the largest percentage of people bitten by dogs.
Dog Bites are considered Strict Liability and is governed by California Civil Code Section 3342(a).
California Civil Code section 3342(a) provides: “The owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness. A person is lawfully upon the private property of such owner within the meaning of this section when he is on such property in the performance of any duty imposed upon him by the laws of this state or by the laws or postal regulations of the United States, or when he is on such property upon the invitation, express or implied, of the owner.”
In many instances, victims of dog bites are familiar with the dog that has bitten them. Although all ages of people can become a victim of a dog bite, the vast majority of dog bites are caused to victims of children up to the age of thirteen (13). Therefore the risk of head and neck injury in children are greater, because of the child's size. State Law Firm, Apc. can assist victims in being compensated for injuries that are caused by Dog Bites.
Dog Bites can occur in multiple situations including mistreatment of a dog, provocation or misunderstanding of a dog. Accounting for 1% or 885,000 people require some form of emergency care.
Dog Bites can result in injury including:
- Dog Bite Scratches
- Dog Bite Contusion/Abrasion
- Dog Bite Hematoma
- Dog Bite Fracture
- Dog Bite Amputation
- Dog Bite Lacerations
- Dog Bite Injury
- Dog Bite Disfigurement
- Dog Bite Bleeding
- Dog Bite Infection
- Dog Bite Deep Open Cuts
- Dog Bite Puncture Wound
- Dog Bite Crush Injuries
- Dog Bite Maiming
- Dog Bite Tearing of Body Parts
- Dog Bite Death
Talk to an experienced attorney at State Law Firm, Apc. if you were injured as a result of a Dog Bite, or Dog related injury resulting in a fall. Whether you have been knocked to the ground by a dog, or have fallen as a result of a dog on a leash wrapping around your legs, injuries can occur.
Areas of Injuries as a result of an incident with a Dog or Dog Bite can include:
- Dog Bite to the Head
- Dog Bite to the Neck
- Dog Bite to the Arms
- Dog Bite to the Legs
- Dog Bite to the Right Hand
- Dog Bite to the Left Hand
- Dog Bite to the Right Foot
- Dog Bite to the Left Foot
- Dog Bite to the Calf
- Dog Bite to the Ankle
- Dog Bite to the Armpit
- Dog Bite to the Face
- Dog Bite to the Beard
- Dog Bite to the Lip
- Dog Bite to the Chin
- Dog Bite to the Cheek
- Dog Bite to the Ear
- Dog Bite to the Eyebrow
- Dog Bite to the Eyelid
- Dog Bite to the Finger
- Dog Bite to the Forearm
- Dog Bite to the Mustache
- Dog Bite to the Mouth
State Law Firm, Apc. is here to assist injured victims as a result of a dog-related accident. Damages suffered from a dog related incident includes and is not limited to:
- Pain & Suffering
- Medical Expenses
- Mental Anguish
- Mental Suffering
- Temporary Disability
- Permanent Disability
- Scar Revision
- Permanent Scarring
- Loss of past/future Earning / Earning capacity
- Cosmetic services
- Psychological Treatment
- Property Damage (clothing, bicycle, phone etc.)
- And potentially more...
All dogs and dog breeds can inflict a dog bite. Some dogs may be more commonly associated with Dog Bites. If you have been bitten by any dog including:
- German Shepherds
- Pit Bull Terriers
- Mixed Breeds
- American Staffordshire Bull Terriers
- Chow Chows
- Pit Bulls
- Doberman Pinchers
- Siberian Husky
Call State Law Firm, Apc. to assist you in getting a FREE CONSULTATION for any injuries as a result of a dog-related incident.
Just because there may be a "Beware of Dog" sign does not mean the landowner is absolved of absolute liability. By the same token, defenses by the Dog owner may limit the amount of recovery a victim can get. Obtain a FREE CONSULTATION from an experienced attorney at STATE LAW FIRM, APC. to assist you in your dog related incident.
At State Law Firm Apc, we understand that you need to get the treatment and care you require. Treatment including early medical management for injuries and wounds as a result of a Dog Bite. You may be entitled to get compensated for the damages you sustain as a result of a Dog Bite.
California is a Strict Liability State. A dog bite makes an owner of a dog strictly liable for a dog bite and the resulting injuries. There are defenses to dog bites such as trespassing by the victim, provoking the dog, injury by a dog owned by the employer, or paid services involving a dog.
"A common law strict liability cause of action may... be maintained if the owner of a domestic animal that bites or injures another person knew or had reason to know of the animal's vicious propensities. If [defendant] knew or should have known of his dog's vicious propensities and failed to inform [plaintiff] of such facts, he could be found to have exposed [plaintiff] to an unknown risk and thereby be held strictly liable at common law for his/her injuries." (Priebe v. Nelson (2006) 39 Cal.4th 1112, 1115-1116, internal citations omitted.) "
Here at State Law Firm, Apc. we know there are many questions left unanswered for victims. Call us today for a FREE CONSULTATION if you have ANY questions, including:
- Who is liable for my injuries and damages?
- Is the Animal Keeper responsible for my injuries?
- Are the Parents of minors responsible for my injuries?
- Is the Property owner liable for my Injuries?
- is the Landlord liable for my injuries?
Legal theories are not easy to use in determining liability. An experienced attorney can help in determining what form of liability is needed.
- Dog Bite Statute
- Negligence Per Se
- Scienter - "One Bite Rule"
- Intentional Tort
- Who is going to pay for my medical expenses?
- Who is going to assist with my lost wages?
- Who is going to help me with my Pain and Suffering?
- Who will pay for my property damage?
Call State Law Firm, Apc. to help get you compensated for your injuries and damages as a result of a dog-related injury. At State Law Firm, Apc. we know that an injury does not always happen as a result of a dog bite. If you have been injured as a result of a dog-related incident such as:
- Dogs at day car centers
- Dogs in stores
- Dogs on a leash
- Unleashed Dogs
- Dogs jumping on you
- Dogs jumping towards you
Call an experienced attorney who knows that a Dog related injury does not always happen as a result of a dog bite, but that many instances can result in an injury to a victim of a Dog.
If the incident is apparently an emergency, make sure you call 911 to get immediate medical treatment and care. In addition, some helpful assistance is by doing the following:
- Find out or identify the dog that bit you and the owner of the dog. Find out who the dog belongs to or whose control was the dog under immediately prior to the incident. Get all names, address, phone numbers of any and all witnesses in the area, including the dog owners, and the property owners information.
- Seek Medical Attention Immediately. Call 911 If you require immediate assistance by an EMT or first responder. Irrespective of the extent of an injury, when bit by a dog you should immediately seek treatment afterward to prevent a risk of infection or greater injury.
- File a dog report with the proper city/county authorities as well as with a police, if one has been called.
- Photograph your injuries. It is always important to document your injuries to show how they are progressively getting better or worse. Injury photos should be taken immediately after an incident of all body parts that are injured, as well as all property that was damaged.
- Begin a journal immediately by spending a few moments each day recording your thoughts and feelings about the incident. In many instances, victims not only suffer physical injury but mental and emotional trauma from a horrific dog bite. Keeping track of your feelings assists in getting the help and treatment needed.
**Contact State Law Firm, Apc. immediately after an incident to help you with your complex and difficult personal injury case. At State Law Firm, Apc. We're In This Together and are here to help you shed light on liability, damages, and treatments a victim of a dog-related incident is entitled to. Call for your FREE CONSULTATION TODAY!